Now, if you live in the Netherlands, you will know that the yearly Kinderboekenweek in October is a huge event. Primary schools and town libraries run many fun events to promote reading.
I usually run a workshop for student teachers at Avans in Breda. I choose an English picturebook which links to the annual theme and offer some book-related English teaching activities. As more and more Dutch primaries are interested in including some English titles during this event, I decided to put together some book recommendations for schools and the American Book Center.
And if you are looking at the 2017 scary list and wondering which book could work in which class, I would suggest the following:
- The Koala who could by Rachel Bright (Laat Maar Los, Koala)
- Follow-up: Draw / Make a scary animal which surprises Koala?
- Alan’s Big Scary Teeth by Jarvis
- Follow-up: https://tra-resources.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/entries/document/1571/Alan_s_Big_Scary_Teeth_Activity_Sheets.pdf
- Monster in the Hood by Steve Antony
- Follow-up: http://www.steveantony.com/blog/2016/6/2/monster-in-the-hood-contest-entries
- Little Mouse’s Big Book of Fears by Emily Gravett
- Follow-up: activity printouts can be found here, select correct book: https://www.emilygravett.com/activities